Saturday, January 12, 2008

My personal list: Most Dissapointing Fight scenes Part 1

We watch media to watch love, comedy and dogs pulling helpless children out of inconveniently placed wells. But let's face it, the main attraction is seeing people beat the crap out of each other.

Welcome to the noble fight scene. The one of the most popular entertainment in media today, and has been popular ever since that one monkey pelted his feces at his fellow chimp millions of years ago. But what happens when something builds up to the fight but it falls short? Then you have the disappointment. After all that Momentum, the fight falls short and you, the viewer is left wondering "how the hell could it have turned into THAT?!" while the creators laugh and laugh and laugh.

This list will be broken up into several parts. In this first installment I will be looking at Western Animation. Remember, these are my own opinion.

THE TENNYSONS VS THE NEGATIVE TEN: BEN 10

Even though Ben 10 is now being whored to death by Cartoon Network and the main character raises the standard for cartoon idiots, it was a watchable show. Now some of the greatest fights in the show came at the season finales. The first and second season had proved this (the third, less so). Anyway let's get to the point. When I read about the concept for this episode I couldn't wait! This would truly be the perfect finale for the show: all the greatest villians together and having one giant climatic fight! It sounded flawless, like nothing could go wrong.

Sadly, I said the same thing about Spy Kids 3D (my reasoning,:It's Spy Kids and Video Games! I love them both! And in 3D! What could go wrong? Turns out, a lot).

The first thing I noticed was that the show saw it fit to bring in a Marty Stu for the show's Grand Finale, which is one of the worst things anyone could ever do for these types of episodes. Going on, I sat throughout the episode watching, waiting for the likes of Vilgax, Kevin and Victor's team to show up. When the episode ended I realized the horrible truth.

The "Negative Ten" consists of average recurring villians and one-off villians. There was none of the major villains in sight. Words could not describe how disgusted I was. So they get to the fight and it involves the villians maybe getting one or two dueling strikes but otherwise getting flicked away when they attempt an attack. Then we get to the final battle: Ben VS The Forever King. The FK absorbs the episode's MacGuffin and messes up Ben (who has turned into Upchuck: one of his lamest forms. His powers are swallowing things and spitting out energy.) for a bit, then Ben as Upchuck swallows the MacGuffin, big blast, fight's over. That's it. This is how Ben 10 ends.

Never have I seen a show that collapsed so miserably on it's finale. There may be a new series of Ben 10 coming soon, but for now, we are stuck with this: a shadow of what the final battle of Ben 10 should have been. Sad.

CYBORG VS BROTHER BLOOD: TEEN TITANS

Recently, I have seen tones of backlash against the Doctor Who Season 3 finale. It was that bit where the Doctor becomes god like and reduces the Master to a pathetic, scared, quivering wreck. I would have to agree. That whole scene may as well have been a stage in Elite Beat Agents.










(I have no idea how to use photoshop, nor could I find an EBA picture of just the bottom screen, but replace the top half of the second picture with the fist picture and you should get the idea)

Anyway, what I trying to say is that the next fight scene on my list is more or less the same thing. In the Teen Titans season 3 finale had Cyborg fighting his arch nemisis Brother Blood. Blood is now powerful enough to rip Cyborg's arms and legs off and has his entire team captured, Blood rips into Cyborg's CPU to try and find out how he was immune to his hypnosis and then..........same thing as Doctor Who. Cyborg becomes god-like and rips off Blood's arms before K.Oing him, later we find out that blood has been sent to jail.

Now the Deus Ex Machina was bad enough (they justify it as a one off thing), but sening him to a jail? Sending this Homicidle Darwinist to a jail where he could easily break out (however, Blood subverted the Cardbord Prison trope and never appeared again) is childish. Could they have just KILLED Blood? Have Cyborg blast him to oblivion with his god powers, maybe? I know this is a kids show but come on. I wanted this after the season 2 finale where the big bad fell into LAVA. Well anyway, that mistake and the Deus Ex Machina puts this on my list.

Only two? Trouble is, I can't think of any, I have a headache and I am tired. But if you have any examples, feel free to put them on.

NEXT TIME: Part 2: Anime







No comments: